Thursday, December 31, 2015

Goodbye 2015

Loving this simple yet interesting stitch pattern
So are you one of those who hustles to finish one last project before the clock ticks over to the new year? I've been working on this ear-warmer headband off and on this month, using up what was left of the hand-dyed wool yarn after making a neck warmer for a friend - you can see it in progress here. In my rush to get it wrapped and in the mail, I failed to take a picture of it, but below is the photo from the pattern to give you an idea. I may or may not finish the earwarmer tonight while watching a movie and waiting for midnight (I really am close), but I'm not stressing about it. It's been quite enjoyable trying a new stitch pattern, and I like this one a lot. So many of the free patterns I have on hand rely on really basic knit and purl which had started to bore me. I was up for something more interesting. The rhythm of this one sucked me right in and I love the texture those slanted "v's" give.

"Hubby Approved Neck Warmer" similar to the one I knitted using zigzag stitch

I do understand the pull to add one last item to the list of completed ones (accomplishments!) as well as to keep a nearly done one from bleeding over into the next regimented time frame. But there's also something to be said for relaxing on this last day of the year, enjoying whatever bits it has to offer.  For me it was lazing over my morning coffee before knitting a bit on the ear-warmer, warming my body up with some yoga, then bundling for an early walk once I noticed the sun was making headway through the cloud cover. It actually broke free mid-afternoon, filling the room where the computer lives with such wonderful light that I've spent time there until it set.


Best of all, I've been enjoying this little rosebush that showed up on my doorstep yesterday - a belated Christmas gift that is in stark contrast to the wintry scene outside.


Look at all those buds! And it has a lovely scent as well.


I'm fairly astounded at the size of these blooms. I've only seen this sort of thing in "miniature" form, tiny tiny roses to grow inside. These rival any on full-size bushes I've tried cultivating in various gardens over the years. I'm hoping I can keep it alive and blooming for a long time.

The sun has now set so I am ready to finish up here on the computer and perhaps wander into the studio to tend to the remaining padfolios. I have some time before heading to the kitchen to fix my traditional New Year's Eve turkey enchiladas. But I find I'm not particularly driven to see them finished today either. It's a deadline that other years has been important to me, but not this year. What doesn't get finished today will get finished soon enough.

Wishing my readers a Happy New Year - I am grateful for you all!

 

8 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

What a great way to end the year -- a little knitting, walking, flowers and enchiladas! Happy New Year dear friend!

Felicity Grace said...

I love those stitches, such lovely textures! Happy New Year, Sheila! I hope 2016 is a great one for you!

Olga Norris said...

Like your lovely rose, I hope that you continue to bloom this year. Happy 2016!

The Inside Stori said...

AND….a very Happy and Healthy New Year to you as well……may you enjoy a creative 2016!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh thank you, my pretties! Such sweet sentiments. So lucky to have you as my blogging (and otherwise) friends!

Françoise said...

Happy New Year to you!
The little rosebush is so beautiful. No snow here yet. Winter is late this year.

Cathie said...

Happy New Year Beauty!!! It's been a while. I am happy to see you are still creating and enjoying life. Just thought I'd pop by to wish you a happy new year. I have been off blogger a while as I found a new passion last year... Hiking. Never made it back to Ohio but did buy a wonderful log house in The Smokey Mountains of Tennessee where inspiration abounds. I suspect I will be painting and sewing up a storm. Again, so happy to see you are well and happy. Do take care and come visit me at Clevelandgirlie on Instagram which is where I frequent now sharing my adventures. Xo

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh Cathy - I've been wondering what you've been up to. So good to hear from you and that all is well. Hiking is a great passion! Looking forward to seeing where this new inspiration of the Smoky Mountains takes you.