Wednesday, November 09, 2016

More Smiles in the Mailbox

Have to share since the news here post election is disturbing and a goodly portion of this nation needs some cheering up. A few months ago when looking for an organization to donate to in order to help the flood victims in Louisiana, I came across the Donors Choose organization which allows you to help fund projects put together by teachers all over the country to fill specific classroom needs. And there was this 1st grade class in Louisiana, looking to raise enough money to buy Kindles for each child to stand in for damaged materials. Many of these children had lost their homes to the floods, and the school, which also sustained damage but was open, was providing some continuity and shelter for them during the day. The project met its goal, the Kindles were delivered and the kids started sending out thank you notes to the donors like me!


Talk about a ray of sunshine. I never had my own kids, but long ago I worked at several schools in different non-teaching capacities, and had a lot of fun interacting with the kids, especially the younger ones who are still so open and mostly innocent. Olivia here was the star of my group of thank you's. Not sure you can tell from the photo, but she chose to add a pink roof to her orange house, and stars! I don't think I learned to make that sort of star until I was quite a bit older. And look at how legibly they write!


Olivia and another child also provided some back art. Lots of hearts - I'll take 'em. I think these kids really enjoyed making their thank you notes. They will keep me smiling for a long time. You can read more about this project and see photos of the kids in their classroom here.

3 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I just love kids' art -- so colorful and spontaneous and joyful!

Lucia Sasaki said...

Dear Sheila, thanks a lot for sharing this experience. It is so heartwarming being able to help people who suffered this kind of traumatizing experience.
I liked the children's drawings!

The Idaho Beauty said...

The kid's art really is great - fun to see such happiness when they've been through such trauma. Thanks you two!