Saturday, January 13, 2018

POAC Winter Exhibit: Abstracts

"Upward Drifting" & "Winter Wind Song" by Bob Lindemann
I know abstract art isn't for everyone, but I think some of it appeals to me because of  its visual link to some of the fabric I love like handdyes (I often look at a painting and think, and now it needs some stitch and maybe beads...) or because of my interest in the block designs in 1800s quilts (op art before op art became a thing with painters). With that in mind, here are the pieces in the abstract portion of the winter exhibit (aptly named "Beyond Form") that had me taking more than a quick look. The two above are large watercolor paintings that fit the category of looking like fabric I produce myself. By the late Bob Lindemann, the one on the left is "Upward Drifting" and looks like it uses the technique of scattering salt on the wet paint, something I've done when sun printing fabric. The blues and greens migrating upward and into each other are magical. The other is called "Winter Wind Song". Because of the terrible reflections in the glass, I wasn't able to get straight-on shots of either so I hope you can see what I am describing when you click for a larger view. I wasn't aware of Lindemann's long history with POAC until I did the google and found this article in the local paper which also features another one of his beautiful paintings.

"Petal" by Jeff Rosenkrans

I don't expect you to understand the appeal of this painting from the photo. It looks like not much, I suspect, unless you are standing before it and feel the brushstrokes gently arcing upward pulling you with them, the subtle shifting of hardly visible lines of color shading from yellows to oranges with some green interspersed. I doubt it would have the same effect if painted on a smaller canvas, and the fact that I was viewing it on a grey rainy day may have had something to do with the way it made me sigh and drink it in for as long as I did. Or maybe my appreciation was partly due to some very close-up photos I've taken of rose petals where I could study the delicate veining one seldom notices. At any rate, I found myself thinking, "Bravo!" for not mucking up this simple idea with too much detail. Sweeping colors rendered with a delicate touch.

"Waves on a Golden Shore" by Leslie Gadsby

This one drew me in with that wild splash of white, spray from a crashing wave, I decided, although just the shape and form leading the eye upward toward the echoing darker shape and teal blue above it was enough for me, no identification of what it really was necessary. But as I looked around the edges of the white, I noticed many subtle details in the background to confirm that initial impression. So much to look at in this painting by Leslie Gadsby.

"Besa Del Sol"


Here's another painting by Jeff Rosenkrans, but oh so different from "Petal". However, the story behind his process as told in his artist statement ties the two together and increased my appreciation of what I was seeing in this striking geometric design. Is that rippling water mixed in with such graphic elements? Yes indeed, and it was that surprising element that caught and held my attention.

"Winter Forest Floor" by Dan Earle

"Abstract II" by Catherine Earle

I like these last two, one by Dan Earle and one by Catherine Earle and both watercolors, for their placement of interesting shapes and color palette. A part of me envisions designing such images to execute in fabric but somehow I never get quite there. Guess it's time for me to quit looking and start doing the work!  

3 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Not only is the work pictured of interest, your descriptions are so well thought out and detailed…..allowing for better appreciation of the work….many thanks!

Living to work - working to live said...

These are stunning. Thanks for the post. I have to say, especially following the link and reading about Bib Lindemsn, your town really does sound like a fabulous artistic community.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Glad you enjoyed it and that my commentary and links were helpful. I was just going to throw them up with basic info, but while looking at the pictures realized it might not be obvious why these works interested me and what was going on in them. As they say in the music business, live is best, and I so wish you could join me in viewing these in person!