Monday, January 01, 2018

2018!


And just like that, 2017 whisked by and is gone. . .

And here is the last spread in my 2017 pocket calendar. I must admit that, while it was interesting and educational to work on these with colored pencil, I am ready to move on from this particular practice.

I've been thinking about what I want to use as my resolution word for 2018. Last year I chose "endure", having realized I'd spent much of 2016 in endurance mode and anticipated that 2017 would also pose many moments needing to be endured. But once looking back at how 2017 had gone, I didn't have a sense that I'd spent much time or energy having to endure difficult events or interactions. Perhaps because I went into the year with such a positive attitude about the idea of "enduring the slings and arrows" life might throw at me, assured I would survive even if ruffled, what I did endure did not leave much of a lasting impression. Granted, I was not chased from my home by wildfires, hurricanes or floods. Nor did I sustain any major personal losses to endanger either my emotional or financial well-being. I can only look back at the tumultuous year in general and be thankful I was so little affected by so many world-wide upheavals.

So having survived a year that was not nearly as bad for me as I anticipated, one where my energy and drive steadily increased to allow a return to things sidelined for so long, I feel like hitting the refresh button, taking a new and less cautious look at the many things that make up my daily life. That page that's been up on my browser for awhile may only need to be refreshed, not changed; no need for a new browser all together either, if I may dabble in an internet metaphor. I feel like being refreshed, and taking a fresh look at the familiar, some of which has gotten a little stale in my carefulness to endure. So that will be my resolution word for 2018, REFRESH!, the thing to pull up and remind myself of when I'm not sure where I want to go or sense things are getting too same old same old.

And here's something I stole off Facebook, too good not to share, because I think we all could use more of the things on this list throughout the new year. May your 2018 be filled with these and creative joy! 

**********************************************

Previous resolution words:
2008 - Freedom
2009 - Calm
2010 - Focus
2011 - Refocus
2013 - Perseverance
2014 - Explore
2015 - Fearless
2016 - Light
2017 - Endure

2 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

What a great way to approach 2018……REFRESH….such a perfect choice in so many ways!

Françoise said...

Sounds like a nice program for the new year.
Happy 2018 to you!